
Day 14
I have learned a very valuable life lesson from one of the classic books "Jane Eyre". I read Emily Bronte's "Wuthering Heights" a while back, and absolutely hated the book. I felt that it was well written, but couldn't get past the dismal ending. For the longest time I couldn't bring myself to read a classic novel. I had seen a movie trailer for "Jane Eyre", was encouraged by Kevin to give it a try and decided to read the book written by Emily's sister Charlotte. I had a difficult time getting over my prejudice, and for the first 150 - 200 pages felt that this book was reaffirming my position on the classics. As soon as Jane leaves the home that she was brought up in and goes to school, the story just clicked for me. When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it. I have heard time and time again that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover (even if it is an incredible leather bound edition!), and that sentiment has never been more true than in this case. This experience has shown me that I need to be more open to the many things that this life has to offer, and not let a 20 plus year prejudice rob me from a truly great thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment